Sunday, February 26, 2017

Comp: What Facebook Does to Me II

What Facebook Does to Me 2

If you ask me whether I have a Facebook account or not, I will answer, “Who doesn’t?” Facebook is so useful that it has become a part of many people’s lives, including mine. For relieving boredom and sharing thoughts with friends, old and new, there is nothing else that compares, but the down side is its addictiveness.  I couldn’t imagine what my days would be like without it.

     First and foremost, Facebook keeps me from getting bored when there is nothing else to do. I check out friends’ home pages, read the news feeds, or watch funny memes. Facebook is really good for channeling my interests and expressing my opinions in public especially on hot topics such as same-sex marriage. In an instant, my ideas go out to the world.  Some discussions may not be agreeable, but when someone hits the "like" button 
on my comment, I feel great about myself!  With Facebook, people can understand me better and I can know how others feel.

  The second amazing function of Facebook is finding long lost friends to update our lives and feelings. I get to keep in touch with lots of classmates and teachers who I never thought I would meet again. With Facebook, keeping friendships over distances becomes easy. Friends post each other’s old photos which are usually cute, but occasionally I am reminded by photos I am doing something stupid in. It is all in fun though, unless it becomes malicious; that is the sinister side of Facebook. Being bothered by bad friends and strangers sending messages is annoying. Sometimes old friends must be “blocked” and left in the past.

    Though Facebook has brought the world closer to me, it has complicated my life by filling it with distractions, and compromising my concentration or my studies. I can’t stop reading the articles!  Before I realize it, hours have passed. It’s really a big problem getting less and less for studies and real interaction with people I care for. People around me spend more time posting and reading articles than talking to each other face to face. For instance, on my birthday, some friends post best wishes or smiling face stickers instead of writing greeting cards or giving me hugs in person. Everyone seems addicted to Facebook! That's really not what I want deep in my heart. 
I can’t help wondering why I am so addicted to Facebook. I must resist!

    There is no denying that Facebook is a useful tool for communication and information; it adds so many possibilities to our lives, but there is a sinister side to Facebook, too. There are always two sides, aren’t there?  I should be more careful least Facebook takes control of my life. Spend more time being with people I love is more important. Showing I care cannot be replaced by typing words or posting smiley faces. If we are smart uses of Facebook, it can bring us joy and improve the quality of our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment